Drunk Driving Accident Attorney in Houston, TX
Drunk driving crashes are some of the most catastrophic motor vehicle accidents that can occur. Drunk drivers are more likely to speed, run stop signs and red lights, and drive on the wrong side of the road, all of which can lead to violent collisions. If you’ve been the victim of a drunk driving accident, you can fight to hold the intoxicated driver accountable to compensate you for your injuries and losses. An experienced Houston drunk driving accident attorney from Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, can help.
At Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, we understand the anger and frustration that victims of drunk driving accidents face. We think of our clients like family. Our full-service law firm works hard to help you get the medical, emotional, and financial support you need during this difficult time. We handle every aspect of your case so you can focus on your recovery.
For a free case review, contact us today. A Houston drunk driving accident lawyer from our firm can answer your questions and explain your legal rights.
Understanding Drunk Driving Accident Liability
When a motor vehicle accident is caused by a drunk driver, the injured victims of the accident may have more than one party they can hold liable for their losses:
In most cases, a drunk driver is held responsible for the injuries and losses resulting from a motor vehicle accident. You would typically pursue compensation through the intoxicated driver’s insurance company.
Dram shop liability
Under certain circumstances, the party that served alcohol to the intoxicated driver can be held responsible. Under Texas’s dram shop law, a bar, restaurant, or other establishment licensed to serve alcoholic beverages can be held liable for injuries that proximately result from a customer’s intoxication. However, you will have to show that the alcohol was being served to an obviously intoxicated person whose intoxication posed a clear danger to themselves and others, or that alcohol was knowingly served by a person over the age of 21 to a minor under the age of 18.
Difference Between Criminal Charges and Civil Case
Although a drunk driving criminal case and civil case are related, they have important differences:
- For a criminal case, the state must prove the driver’s intoxication beyond a reasonable doubt. Following a conviction, the court imposes penalties upon the driver, including jail time, fines, loss of driving privileges, and other sanctions.
- In a civil case, injured parties seek to hold the drunk driver financially responsible for injuries and losses arising from an accident the driver caused. Although the driver’s liability for the accident can be shown in other ways, such as if he or she was speeding or ran a stop sign, in many cases, the driver’s intoxication serves as the primary evidence of negligence.
Time Limit for Filing a Drunk Driving Accident Claim
The Texas statute of limitations on drunk driving injury claims generally requires any lawsuit to be filed within two years of the date of the crash. If you don’t file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires on your claim, you run the risk of having your claim dismissed out of court. It is crucial to speak with a Houston drunk driving accident lawyer as soon as possible after a crash to begin work on your case.
How a Houston Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Can Help You
Don’t try to cope with the aftermath of a drunk driving accident on your own. Let a Houston drunk driving accident attorney from Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, stand strong for you during this difficult time by:
- Thoroughly investigating the accident to obtain the evidence we need to establish your claim, including police accident and toxicology reports
- Assisting you with getting the medical treatment you need to recover from your injuries
- Working with expert witnesses as necessary to help develop a persuasive argument for your right to compensation
- Filing your insurance claims and managing all settlement negotiations on your behalf as we aggressively pursue maximum payment for your losses
- Preparing your case to go to trial, if necessary
Our highly qualified legal team takes all the burdens of pursuing a claim for compensation off your shoulders so that you can focus on what’s most important: your physical and emotional recovery.
Full Compensation for Your Drunk Driving Accident Case
When you’ve been injured in a drunk driving accident, you may be entitled to seek full financial compensation for the losses you’ve incurred due to your injuries, such as:
- Costs of medical recovery
- Costs of long-term care
- Lost income
- Lost earning potential
- Lost quality or enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
Talk to a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Houston Now
If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, contact the Houston accident lawyers of Pines & Goldenzweig, PLLC, today for a free consultation. We’ll discuss the details of your accident and explain more about your legal options for pursuing compensation for your injuries and losses. There is no cost for you to speak with us about your case. You only pay attorney fees if we recover compensation for you.
Services Offered in English and Spanish
Personal Approach and Strategy for Every Case
Direct Communication with Your Attorney
We Answer Calls Day or Night, 365 Days a Year
Client Satisfaction Is of Utmost Importance
Nearly 4 Decades of Combined Experience