Reckless Driving Car Accident Attorney in Houston
Reckless driving is negligent driving, and it puts not just the driver and their vehicle’s occupants in danger but everyone else on the road at risk. When motorists disregard the safety of others, severe injury and fatal accidents could occur.
If a reckless driver hurts you, know that you don’t have to shoulder the burden of costly medical care, lost wages, and other unexpected losses alone. You have the right to seek fair compensation from the at-fault driver and their insurance company.
The Houston reckless driving accident lawyers at Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, are ready to fight for you. We want to help you pursue the money you need for your medical bills, your lost income, the pain and suffering you have experienced, and anything else you have lost because of that person’s recklessness.
Contact us today to find out how we can help during a free initial consultation.
What Is Considered Reckless Driving in Houston?
In Texas, reckless driving is defined as the operation of any type of motor vehicle with willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property. That applies to all roads, highways, parking lots, and public garages.
Many dangerous behaviors can qualify as reckless driving, such as:
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Racing other motor vehicles
- Evading law enforcement
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving
- Failing to control the vehicle
- Driving while under the influence
- Failing to yield to other drivers or pedestrians
- Failing to use signals when turning
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Failing to stop at red lights and stop signs
Generally, a disregard for the safety of others and carelessness are the hallmarks of reckless driving.
Legal Options After a Reckless Driving Accident in Texas
If you have been injured in a reckless driving accident that was someone else’s fault, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries and losses through the legal system. An experienced personal injury attorney can increase your chances of receiving the full compensation you’re entitled to.
But while you may be concerned about the expense of legal representation, the Houston reckless driving accident lawyers at Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, work on what’s called a contingency fee basis. Under this system, your attorney will be paid a previously agreed-upon percentage of whatever settlement or verdict they secure on your behalf. In other words, they will get paid only if and when you do.
Injuries Caused by Reckless Driving Car Accidents
Any traffic accident can result in injuries. However, reckless driving is so dangerous because it increases both the chances of a collision and the likelihood that the crash will result in serious injuries. Some of those serious injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – TBIs are life-altering injuries that can lead to significant physical and mental impairment.
- Facial Injuries – These injuries often require surgery and cosmetic reconstruction.
- Joint Damage – Injuries to knees, hips, ankles, elbows, shoulders, and other joints can lead to lifelong suffering.
- Internal Injuries – Because they are not always immediately apparent, internal injuries are especially dangerous and even deadly.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Damage to the spinal column can lead to paralysis or death.
- Amputations – The loss of a limb can reduce mobility and can be psychologically devastating.
- Burn Injuries – Burns are painful and can cause permanent scarring.
- Dental Injuries – Trauma to the mouth and teeth may require extensive dental repair or reconstruction.
- Lacerations – Severe lacerations can cause serious blood loss and require immediate treatment and closure.
- Whiplash – This type of invisible injury can cause pain, immobility, and continued discomfort.
- Broken Bones – Fractures may require surgery to set, take a long time to heal, and necessitate rehabilitation once they have.
Penalties for Reckless Driving in Houston
In most cases, reckless driving in Texas is a misdemeanor, with a maximum fine of $200 and a jail sentence of up to 30 days. However, if someone is killed as the result of a reckless driving accident, the reckless driver could be charged with vehicular manslaughter or homicide, depending on the circumstances.
In addition to criminal charges, reckless drivers may be held liable for their actions through the civil courts. That gives their victims the chance to secure financial compensation for the damage they have caused, including any medical expenses, loss of income, pain, and suffering, and property damage.
Liability in Reckless Driving Accidents
The person whose reckless driving resulted in a collision may be held legally liable for the injuries and losses their actions caused others. That means that they are financially responsible for their victims’ medical treatment, as well as for any other costs associated with the injuries they sustained as the result of the reckless driving accident. That may include income lost because of an inability to work, their diminished future earning potential, the physical pain and mental anguish they suffered, and whatever property was damaged.
Texas Reckless Driving Laws
Section 545.401 of the Texas Transportation Code defines reckless driving as driving a vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property. That is more serious than mere negligence because when someone drives recklessly, it means that they recognize that their behavior could cause substantial harm, and they engage in that behavior anyway.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, more than 205,000 people were injured in motor vehicle accidents in Texas in a single recent year. That same year, 14,656 people were seriously injured, and 3,896 lost their lives. More than 100,000 crashes occurred because of excessive speeding and other potentially reckless behavior.
Houston is a particularly dangerous city for motorists, as more than 58,000 of the state’s 364,000 total crashes happened there. That means that roughly 16% of the state’s accidents that year occurred in a city with about 8% of its total population.
At Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, we are committed to helping victims of reckless driving accidents seek the financial compensation and the justice they deserve. We would like to discuss your experience and your legal rights during an initial consultation, which comes at no cost or obligation to you.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.
Services Offered in English and Spanish
Personal Approach and Strategy for Every Case
Direct Communication with Your Attorney
We Answer Calls Day or Night, 365 Days a Year
Client Satisfaction Is of Utmost Importance
Nearly 4 Decades of Combined Experience