Truck Accident Settlements in Houston
Truck accidents can have catastrophic consequences due to their enormous size and weight. While the typical passenger vehicle weighs around 4,000 pounds, semi-trucks can weigh about 80,000 pounds when loaded – about 20 times heavier than the average passenger car. It’s perhaps no surprise that occupants of lighter vehicles frequently suffer severe, even fatal, injuries while truck drivers remain unscathed.
Were you injured in a truck accident in Houston that someone else caused? If so, an experienced lawyer can help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other losses. Truck accident cases are incredibly complex, but the Houston truck accident attorneys at Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, have the knowledge and skills to help you bring an accident claim or personal injury lawsuit against the parties that harmed you.
Contact our offices today for a free, no-risk consultation.
How Our Lawyers Help Truck Accident Victims Win Settlements
At the law firm Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, we understand the challenges of bringing a truck accident claim and are not afraid to go toe-to-toe with trucking companies, their insurers, and their high-powered legal teams.
If you hire our firm to manage your case, we are prepared to:
- Investigate the accident. Our team will conduct a thorough investigation of the collision that caused your injuries. Moving quickly to gather and preserve evidence is vital. Trucking companies will sometimes tamper with or even destroy evidence to avoid liability. They’re also not likely to just hand evidence over to you if you request it. Our attorneys will do what is necessary to secure the evidence needed to prove your case, even if we have to go to court to obtain it.
- Determine liability. We will use the evidence we gather in our investigation to identify the liable party or parties and determine all potential sources of compensation.
- Negotiate with the insurance companies. We will handle all communications with the carrier’s insurance company or adjusters if they are self-insured and negotiate a settlement on your behalf. Insurance companies are for-profit organizations. The adjuster’s ultimate goal is to save their employer money. They often use various tactics to minimize the amount they pay accident victims. That is why you need an experienced attorney to fight for your best interests.
- Pursue legal action if necessary. If the insurance company negotiates in bad faith or refuses to make a fair offer, we will not hesitate to litigate your case in court. Our experienced trial lawyers have secured substantial judgments and verdicts for many injured clients in the past, and we will work tirelessly to do the same for you.
Our clients gain access to our network of accident reconstruction experts, medical and mental health experts, and other specialists who can provide statements or even testify in court on your behalf. Our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means you won’t owe us anything unless we win your case. Because we will not charge you upfront legal fees, there is no risk in working with us to demand justice.
How Truck Accident Settlements May Differ
Truck accident settlements are different from those in typical automobile accidents in a few ways. A truck crash settlement may be larger than the average car crash settlement due to the nature of the accident and the severity of the resulting injuries.
Insurance policies on large trucks typically carry much higher limits than passenger cars – often $1 million or more. With more severe injuries, the higher limits mean more money is on the line.
Many truck accident cases involve multiple liable parties, including the truck driver, the trucking company, the truck’s owner, cargo loaders, and others. Depending on who is found to be at fault for the accident, multiple entities could be responsible for compensating you. While this may take longer to negotiate or litigate, the result is frequently a larger settlement.
What Kind of Settlement Can I Expect?
Although the size of your settlement will depend on various factors, in general, the more severe your losses, the more compensation you should be entitled to recover. If you were partly to blame for the accident, shared fault could also affect your settlement amount. The insurance company (or the court, if your case goes to trial) will also consider how the injury is likely to impact your work and daily life. If your case does go to trial, litigation costs will also affect your final settlement.
What Is the Average Semi-Truck Accident Settlement in Houston?
It is challenging to predict the average truck accident settlement amount since every case is unique. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you might be able to recover financial relief for:
- Present and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future lost earning capacity
- Physical scarring or disfigurement
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Vehicle and other property damage
- Wrongful death benefits in fatal accidents
Our attorneys can calculate all of your financial losses to quantify your non-financial damages for pain and suffering, which can be difficult to determine without the help of a seasoned truck accident lawyer.
Types of Injuries Receiving the Highest Truck Accident Settlement
Truck accidents can lead to severe injuries that require surgery and rehabilitative care. The results may impact an individual’s ability to live a normal, productive life. Generally speaking, the more severe the consequences of an accident, the larger the settlement figure.
Common injuries that lead to large settlements include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken and crushed bones
- Internal injuries
- Accidental amputations
- Disfiguring injuries
It is crucial to get prompt medical treatment. Even if you believe your injuries are minor at first, they could be more serious than you think and could later develop debilitating complications if left untreated. You should never agree to a settlement until you understand the full extent of your injuries.
The time it takes to settle varies depending on the many unique factors in the case. Some of the issues that could influence the length of your case include the severity of your injuries, the duration of your treatment and recovery, the accident investigation, the insurance company’s willingness to process and settle your claim, and whether litigation becomes necessary.
Most truck accident cases settle before they go to trial, but sometimes litigation is the best option for obtaining financial relief. However, if your case does go through the legal system, it will take longer to resolve.
If you were injured in a truck accident in Houston and someone else is to blame, contact a Houston truck accident attorney at Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, right away to get started on your accident claim.
Services Offered in English and Spanish
Personal Approach and Strategy for Every Case
Direct Communication with Your Attorney
We Answer Calls Day or Night, 365 Days a Year
Client Satisfaction Is of Utmost Importance
Nearly 4 Decades of Combined Experience