If you’ve recently been injured in an accident, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is choosing which personal injury attorney is the right one to represent you. While plenty of personal injury lawyers may be willing to take your case, not all of them have the same experience, resources, or commitment to their clients.
You want a lawyer who you trust and who can deliver results, but how do you know what to look for if you’ve never hired an attorney before? Keep reading for more information on how to find the right personal injury lawyer to represent you.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer represents you and protects your interests after an accident. This includes everything from filling out insurance paperwork as part of your injury claim, to negotiating aggressively for the compensation you need, to representing you in court in the event of a lawsuit.
Mostly, though, a personal injury lawyer handles the nuts and bolts of your claim – gathering evidence, documenting your injuries, making sure your claim is filed within the statute of limitations, handling communication with the insurance companies on your behalf, and more. A personal lawyer can also help you find the right doctors and other caregivers you may need to help you recover after a serious accident.
Things to Look for When Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Here are some of the most important traits to keep in mind when deciding on a personal injury lawyer:
- Experience – While all personal injury claims may follow a similar process, each case is unique. The more cases a lawyer has handled, the greater their understanding of the subtle nuances that make or break a claim.
- Readiness to go to trial – Most personal injury cases are settled out of court, but those settlements are often based on the threat of going to trial. If your attorney isn’t willing to go to trial to defend your rights, you may not get the total amount you’re eligible for in compensation.
- Reputation – Is your attorney known for being considerate toward clients? Are they seen as someone who’s knowledgeable and organized? Have peers in the legal field recognized them? These are all indicators of what kind of lawyer you’re getting.
- Results – The most objective measure of a personal injury lawyer’s effectiveness is the results they obtain for their clients. If your lawyer has a strong track record of recovering significant sums for their clients, it’s an indication that they know what they’re doing.
- References – Awards and recognition from state legal groups, professional organizations, and agencies like the Better Business Bureau can all help you choose the right lawyer.
- Charges – Hiring a lawyer is a significant investment, so it’s essential to understand your personal injury attorney’s fee structure. Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis and advance many of the costs associated with your case until you settle. Be sure to get a lawyer who clearly explains what they charge and why.
- Personality – You’re going to be spending a lot of time with your attorney, so you want to hire someone with an agreeable personality. You don’t necessarily want a lawyer who’s exactly like you, but you do want someone you can get along with and who you trust will give you honest, straightforward advice.
Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
Here are a few key reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer:
- A personal injury lawyer has legal training and knowledge you don’t have.
- A personal injury lawyer understands the relevant laws that apply to your case.
- A personal injury lawyer has access to tools and resources that can help you make a stronger case for compensation.
- A personal injury lawyer can provide you with unbiased, candid advice as you move forward with your claim.
Contact the Personal Injury Lawyers at Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC
Ready to talk to a Texas personal injury attorney and learn more about your legal options? Contact Goldenzweig Law Group, PLLC, today for a free initial consultation.